Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Christmas Traditions (Satire Piece)


    Christmas season has returned in all of its former glory. It is the time of giving and spending time with all of the family. This time of year seems to be my favorite, not just because I get gifts and every kid loves this time of year, but how traditions and the thought of thinking of others really peaks at this time of year is always great. Some family traditions are different than others by small margins, or just completely out of the ordinary. It is those traditions, that I find, that bring your loved ones together and share something special. For instance, every year it is the same thing when it comes to decorating my house, put on a Christmas movie, bring up the tree (which has also been a tradition itself since it has been in the family for over 12 years now due to my sister’s asthma), and decorate everything in the living room into the holly jolly spirit. I won’t lie, ever since middle school decorating the house just seems like another chore to do rather than a fun time to spend with my family. One of the things I have found out over the years is that growing up instantly grants you the job of all the heavy lifting of boxes and totes since you are deemed fit enough by your parent to lug everything while the younger sibling watches in pleasure as you lug yourself and the tree up the stairs. One of the worst parts in my home is my mother’s addiction to nutcrackers. What went from a nice gift to give my mom quickly turned into a house on Hoarders. Every shelf in the living room space is filled with m=nutcrackers of all shapes and sizes. From the small ornament nutcrackers lining the tree, to the two foot tall nutcracker that towers over the rest. When grabbing them out to decorate the house it seems as if you are reaching into Marry Poppins bag and pulling them out of and endless void of nutcracktopia. My mother feels like she does not have enough, while my sister and I consider otherwise. With this family tradition, the age of the nutcracker looks as if it will stay in my household for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment